Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pep for Prep?

Well I just got the most kick ass shout out ever, so I figured i should get up off my lazy ass and give you mango addicts something to suck on for awhile, so here goes:

About a month ago, my dad forced me to go on a J. Crew shopping spree. Yes, I am dead serious. He made me try on a polo and a skirt, and then bought three colors in each for me to wear at his office when I'm working there (which, FYI, I will now definitley be avoiding. I cannot spend 8 hours infront of a desk, it is simply impossible. Yes, I did actually fall asleep.) I told him of course that this was futile, a joke, and that the clothes were destined to be in Goodwill by the end of the summer. but he persisted, and I am now the shameful owner of three J. Crew polos and three J. Crew skirts.

The key word in that sentance, however, is shameful.

the truth is, one of the skirts (an army colored green-good basic thing to have) isn't so bad. Though at first the polos seemed ill fitting on me, on a second go they're not too hideous, and are actually ridiculously comfortable. In fact, So long as I kept the funky rainbow bracelets, large sunglasses, and earrings, the ensemble really wasn't half bad looking at all, and I'd gladly wear it again. Now for those of you that know me, you might be thinking "WHAT? Emma's gone preppy?!?" and to a certain extent that's why It took me a while to come to terms with these unsettling facts. After all, Isn't that one of evil's purest forms? But keep reading, and your fears shall be assuaged.

It's not that I've 'gone preppy' or even changed the way I dress on a daily basis, I merely opened myself up to a new style, and was reminded about something I had forgotten. I had forgotten than I don't- or at least seriously should try my absolute best to not- support stereotypes. (A personal rule I've been pretty much ignoring lately) In fact, back before I came to prep school, I had no idea what "preppy" was. Seriously, when I got here I thought that the only reason peoples' collars never stayed down was because the laundry service was too lazy to iron things properly. Before prep school, when confronted with Lilly Pulitzer or Eliza B., I had a completely open mind and would gladly try on the clothing. But once I discovered they were all key brands to preps everywhere, I became a little less willing.

So what was wrong with preppy all along? It's not that the style looks so bad, as I've come to realize, (unless of course you're a guy, then there are some definite limits) but it's what the style is associated with. Conformity, and above all things, conservatism. Why are there so many fads in preppy style? Because deviation from the norm is so rare. Why is everyone jumping to get multicolored plaid shorts? Because they're the most original thing designers have come out with in the preppy lines. When was the last time they seriously redesigned anything except for changing the color or fabric? Preppy may seem new and refreshing for me, but for others, it's a boring norm which they have never dared to deviate from for generations.

But before I try to turn my nose up at stereotypes all together, I must admit the term "preppy" does cover a multitude of sins, making it a very useful adjective. If someone is preppy, they don't just dress it, they act it, speak it, and flaunt it with pride. So are stereotypes really that bad then? I suppose they have their place, but we shouldn't let them rule our lives or close our minds, even though such a thing is inevitable. I can't help but wonder...What If I was raised dressing preppy? What if, on my first day of prepschool, I had worn a J. Crew ensemble, instead of all black professional looking slacks and a lacy blouse? (which I admit was wayyy too low cut by the way) Would things have been any different? The truth is, there's a chance they might have, and that is unsettling- more unsettling, at least, than how I look in a polo shirt.

1 comment:

OSK said...

Not to be a jerk, but I feel that by posting about SATC and fasion you're encouraging some stereotypes yourself.