Monday, November 12, 2007

CERN, You Broke My Heart

So despite my recent infatuation with the physical sciences, my own laziness and the dreaded phrases "this material is not in the book" and "will be on the exam" have turned a once steamy, somewhat secretive affair into outright domestic abuse. And as if that weren't reason enough to give up on this whole relationship all together (in addition to familial disapproval for such unorthodox behavior), I'm starting to wonder what drew me to Organic Chemistry in the first place. That is, I started to wonder, once I met Elementary Particle Physics...

I used to think that Chem could satisfy my needs- lord knows we bother enough with positive and negative psi charges (Psi= greek letter denoting the wave function of an electron) to throw me for a spin (haha...God that was lame. No wonder Chem is hating on me) and I thought that Quantum Chemistry would be enough- all the concepts, no math. But then I got curious. Too curious. I was just browsing the science library, that's all, it's not my fault I did some searching and HAPPENNED upon Quarks and Gluons: A Century Of Elementary Particle Physics. It's not my fault that it was so light to carry and to the point and plainly written, making it what I read in my free time. It's not my fault I want to start taking notes. And then there was the fantasy. You know, they say they're perfectly harmless and healthy, everyone has them. Mine was no different: Me, my JYA, parlaying the Francais in Sweeden at CERN. Nothing wrong with that...


That is, until my poor little heart strings were crushed: "positions open to undergraduates having completed at least 3 years of study with a concentration in Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science." Is this it? Has it really come to this? Will Quantum Chemistry, even though it did give me such joy, still really be able to sate my urges with its orbitals and wave functions, while I know that within the nucleus a dozen other types of unheardof infintesimal particles bounce around at the will of forces that we still just barely understand? In Short: Should I go all out and spend 2 precious years attempting to reconquor my fear (and hatred) of intro Physics, or should I just quit this whole thing while I'm ahead? I could deal with two lovers easily enough...but three? I'm not that good.






4 comments:

gbz said...

Ironicly enough, your post of physical science was well written, almost as if your an...english major?

Maybe you should consider a career in particle physics if your so passionate about it. I know I'm waiting for class to come along to make me change my mind on my major.

Juicy said...

Well heres the other thing: as much as I may want to LEARN about EPP, I don't think I could handle a CAREER in research (because it's essentially a carreer in math-ugh) so I'm now thinking double major- one for sciences and one for history or american studies or some other good law school prep that i am also really into. (because I generally see my career heading in that direction unless something major happenns)But that means a lot of work and no honors thesis, so maybe not.

and as for the english major thing- oddly enough I find myself incredibly reluctant to get anywhere NEAR an english class and I have no idea why. (it's like we're both electrons...) I think senior year made me write too many papers for the rest of my life. And I know i still want to write books, but I can do that in my free time and in retirement- it's not like you actually need an english degree to write a good book. broad studies will give me more material to draw from. Plus science is less time consuming (I'm getting really lazy, if it doesnt show)

Gavrich said...

Science is LESS time-consuming? Seriously?

I always figured you for more of a humanities-kinda gal. The "too many papers" excuse is ridiculously silly.

Did you receive my little birthday gift?

Juicy said...

absolutely it is more time consuming- you have to read the entire book and look for tiny details then write a paper (which for me means spend about 3 hours uncessarily overthinking things) wheras in science you only read as much is necessary to get the jist of the concept, and then do quantitative problems.