Saturday, November 07, 2009

RFTSOB

Recently, I've taken to re-reading old blog posts en masse when I want to waste time in the wee hours of the morning instead of sleep. First mine, then the blogbuddies. Having spent the past hour and a half wrapped up in happy blogosphere nostalgia of years past, here are my thoughts:

1. God this blog used to suck. As annoying as it is when people never post, I now fully understand your wise desire for quality control.

2. Note to self: avoid excess ditzy smiley faces in comments. Actually, work on commenting skills all together.

3. Once upon a time, I would tell people "oh yes, and these are the nerdy friends I hang out with. I only understand what they're talking about maybe a third of the time." Now, looking back based on what I know now, I'm pretty sure that number has tripled. It's official, I'm out of excuses. Oh well, the dork side is nice, plus they have cookies. (or at least that's what the t-shirt said)


Also- As you may know, I recently ran into a serious (yet serendipitous) snag in an attempt to dedicate the aching void in my life to WOW. When my credit card wouldn't work initially, an investigation yielded the following results: You see, a character cannot be transferred from the European server to the US server, making any efforts I put in whilst over here absoultely fruitless once I head back stateside. Furthermore, joining the European server means paying 14.99 Euros a month, not dollars. At the current exchange rate, plus the cost my credit card charges to convert, that's well over double what I would pay in the US. Initially I was able to get over my cheap-ass self enough to pay $14.99/mo for the joy that is being a Horde Tauren Shaman (I know, Tauren, surprising, right?) but this is simply too much.

So I need some serious help- and by that I mean another (preferably free) game to fill the void until I'm back in the US for an extended period of time. Come to think of it, with the multitude of mmorpgs out there, surely there exist several games just as awesome as warcraft, just without the brandname allure and hefty price tag, right? (BGII is still an option, but try finding a game store for US PCs in Francophone Switzerland. Internet shopping fails because I've probabaly already spent enough on international shipping from US websites to have the import facility in Zurich give me an entire file. Plus, this is also very expensive, which brings us back to the problem that started this questline to begin with- my cheap-ass self. And no, when you're in this deep to character development, Pokemon simply won't do. )

Suggestions? Guidance? Obi Wan?

3 comments:

dr_koopon said...

I take it you're looking for some kind of rpg then? Must it still have a heavy WoW-like leaning towards fancy graphic combat as well?

Juicy said...

These are my specifications, though I doubt I'll be able to get everything I want:

1. single first person RPG, no 3rd person teams or groups

2. a good background plot, but open ended. Nothing too constricting, but lets me find my own adventure that interests me (if it is constricting- then it must have a very good plot to begin with, which I realize is pretty subjective.)

3. Not "here is a bit of background plot now go kill things to accomplish all of your goals" a little more plot involvement in regular game play would be nice, though I understand battle is still the basis of the genre.

4. Good for the single player, not just guilds. (though might join one eventually)

5. Graphics that are good enough to make me want to explore a bit. (I beleive one might call this "the Mario Mentality?")

Re your question- well, It can't hurt, and would definitley make battle more interesting, but that's not my key interest. Essentially this whole thing started out as a DnD substitute.

dr_koopon said...

wow, ok, so I don't actually know what the offerings are on the interwebs with anything even close to this level of specificity... so good luck!